Wednesday, September 18, 2013

A Midwest Beach

This weekend my family of 10 headed north on a short trip to participate in a family reunion from my husband's father's side of the family. Reunions are funny things, especially when you start to get down in the generations, but I always find myself looking for genetic resemblances. (I suppose that is easier to do when it's not your own family, genetically speaking.)  What I was most struck with was the fact that there was very little resemblance! Once you add a spouse, and then another spouse to the already doubled gene pool, you can have very Irish-looking children and very Hispanic-looking children all running around in the same park, all sharing the same great grandparents. It kinda blew my mind.

And it blessed me too.  Even though I don't share this heritage, my kids do. And I am part of it from here on out. It was nice to see people wanting to make connections with other people in this world that spins a little too quickly anymore. My own extended family is spread out quite a bit, and I don't know if I will ever have the chance for an all-in-one reunion. There are questions and stories I wish that I had asked my grandmother when she was still alive, and I'm trying to remember to ask my parents their own stories now while I am still blessed to have them around.

It also struck me this weekend that while the people come and go, the terrain mostly stays the same and ties the generations together. Here are some shots from the good ol' midwest that you probably wouldn't associate with Ohio. Our family reunion was not far from here, and as we reunited, I admit, my thoughts wandered to Put In Bay and Kelleys Island. These are great options to consider if you're looking for a beautiful midwest beach, a short drive (for some, obviously), and a lighthouse or two!



{via}

{via}



{via}
{via}
                                                                                                                         ~Natalee

No comments:

Post a Comment